Monday, February 3, 2014

Derby Love

About 2 weeks ago a friend told me about a new team starting up in Phoenix, AZ over 40, so I called the number and the woman called me and I got signed up on the secret facebook group and then the next day she took me off because she thought I was a man but wanted to talk to me about it.

So the woman at the AZ over 40 league finally got back to me, over a week ago she kicked me off the league for being a man and said she would give me a call which she did today and she told me that because of my competitive advantage, looking like a man and skating like a man that I can't skate with them but would be sure to give me a call if they were going to have a coed bout, don't think she understands or maybe not care about how that has made me feel, sure took the life out of me today.

By how she said some things she knows more than what she was telling, she does not know me but she said that some teams did not want me to play with them and how did she know I look like a man when I skate if she has never seen me.

The best thing about this is was that she was honest, I can't stand hearing about things behind my back.

Not sure if I should give up on this or take it somewhere, I meet all the WFTDA requirements but that is only for WFTDA bouts, lets see how I feel after a good nights sleep.

This is also one of the reasons in my mind why my team failed, new girls look at me and are scared to skate against me, I will never know for sure.

5 comments:

  1. I never thought you skated like a man. Never even crossed my mind. I have skated with you and you skate like any other skater. That's weird. Sounds like there's just some other hating going on and the only thing they're scared of is what they don't understand. I just became part of this 40 + group and thought it was a great idea, but after this post I hate to say that this might be just another group of political popularity party and if that's so let me step out before we get started. Don't have time for bullshit. Life is short and I'm too old for it. Lol
    I agree that I can appreciate the honesty but I'm sorry their ignorance hurt you my friend. In a sport that has many lesbians, I can't even believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that IS a lesbian that you were talking to, Susan.
    We are going to bring this to the podcast. I will contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's outrageous. I'm glad you are handling this better then most would. That's totally unfair and unacceptable. I've always seen derby as a place of diversity and acceptance. The ignorance you've had to tolerate is saddening. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of people who can now see the league in a different light. It's going to have an impact on them, no doubt there. I'm sorry that you had to deal with such a negative situation but hopefully the light you've shined on this incident will have some positive outcomes. Remember that you are loved and respected by more people in the league then those that let fear and uncertainty rule their lives. I pity them, and pity is the one emotion that no one should ever want me to ever feel for them. It means a loss of respect, accountability, trust and worth. In my eyes it's worst then death. Keep your head up because you never know who's looking up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys I just want to say that I got an official notification that iTunes is providing us free gift cards codes iTunes gift card codes

    ReplyDelete